Sunday, December 21, 2008

Holiday Scotch Shortbreads

Both my father's Scotch-South African mother and my mum's Irish-Canadian mother used to make shortbread cookies every Christmas. There is no hand-me-down recipe that we can find among the worn and grease-stained note cards my grannies assembled. Instead, here is the recipe my mother has been using since the 1960s which produces the loveliest, butteryest shortbread cookies this side of the Atlantic.

Holiday Scotch Shortbread Cookies

1 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups sifted flour

chopped candied cherries

Cream butter and sugar together and work in flour. Chill. Roll out about 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board. Cut into circles using a cutter or a sherry glass and place piece of cherry in center. Bake in slow oven, 325degrees F, until golden.

Makes approx 60 cookies.

1 comment:

ladytron said...

you know, i never thought to use a glass as a cookie cutter...genius!